Skip to main content

Cruz's World: The Life and Times of Shawn Cruz








In a world where one would assume everyone would be pretentious and totally into themselves Shawn Cruz exemplifies the total opposite. With his easy going organic personality it is quite easy to communicate with him, the 23 year 6 foot 3 and a half Virginia native just became one of the newest faces to sign with Red Models NYC. It must be said that his star high-school basketball player past helped prep him for the spotlight, with him always doing interviews, and taking outside criticism Cruz was never one to shy away from the forefront. Although he would often much rather use his free-time to spend away in nature with his dog, Shawn knows all the hard-work he is putting in now will give him ample time for that later. Cruz is striking while the iron is hot, with a positive mindset and his head totally focused on building his brand, Shawn has began to grasp the art of patience which helps him make proficient choices rather than hasty ones. In that aspect I see much of myself in him at that age, so its pretty easy to relate to him on various levels.





Cruz comes from an Afro-Caribbean background with maternal roots in Curacao located just off the coast of Venezuela, but his polite way of articulating himself is all good southern upbringing. Shawn has already made a name for himself two years into his career by appearing in Essence and Bleu magazine, as well as the Benny Boom directed video for K.Michelle's "Cant Raise a Man". When I asked about that experience he spoke very highly of Boom and K.Michelle, Cruz stated" that I was sent to the casting by my agent, and required to act out the same scenario that was depicted in the video, it was an amazing experience Benny Boom was really hands on and down to earth, and it was great working K.Michelle.





Im a style watcher so it was by chance that I came across a picture of Cruz on the internet, and I thought that he had worn the most amazing blazer I had ever seen. At the time I didn't know who this impeccably dressed young man was, and I just happened to come across his instagram. Shawn's style is totally effortless and organic like his personality, "I go off of how I am feeling that day I wear everything, I love denim, but as far as designers are concerned its Public School NYC, A.P.C. Paris for quality, Marc Jacobs, and Y-3". The following are a few specific excerpts to give you a feel of Cruz's answers to my questions in his own words......














What do you think makes a great model......




Someone who is being themselves, and is able to adapt to any line of work they have to do.



What is Shawn like on just a regular day, like what are your favorite things to do, are you always on the go or do you prefer to just chill.....

I wake-up, meditate, do some yoga, and if Im not going to castings Im just being productive whether it be painting or writing poetry, I also like to chill and have close friends over, but I still love a good party.



What artists are you currently feeling in terms of music and you can pick from past or present.....

Well lately this is my current rotation; Gucci Mane, Drake, Jimi Hendrix, John Coltrane, Elton John, Migos, and Marvin Gaye. When Im chilling or painting I like to listen to jazz, or if I happen to be with a special someone it will be Marvin Gaye. I also like Carlos Santana.



What do you feel is the most important thing that people understand about Shawn Cruz......

I must say the fact that I generally care about everyone, and want the best for every single entity because its their right. I'm also working on a book, I write inspirational stuff and things that are based on inner turmoil all from my personal experiences.



Name the most random 5 things you cant go a day without....

Gum it has to be Juicy Fruit, my headphones, green tea, meditating, and eating healthy stuff.



Who do you get your inspiration from whether it be a family member friend, another model, actor etc.....

I gain inspiration from everything around me, God, my mother, the sunshine, close friends, basquiat, and Bob Marley.



Where does Shawn see himself in say 5years......

With a better sense of peace, on billboards, all over tv, barnes and noble, art galleries, and being able to help alot more people.








Shawn is truly a classy guy and my experience interviewing him was nothing less than stellar, which is why I know that all he seeks he will achieve. I can honestly say not to take anything away from any others, that I have never come across a more pure, welcoming, genuine soul than Mr.Shawn Cruz.
Location:NYC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Insider talks Model Behavior with Mr. Alex Dominguez of RED Models NYC

With it now being officially spring and actually feeling like it, I thought what better way to celebrate than bringing in a little model behavior. Models often showcase the best of what the average person aspires to look like, from the clothes, the height, and even their hair. We chatted with Mr. Alex Dominguez for the proper insight, and here are our results....... Tell us a little about yourself such as where you are from, age, and for those who aren't familiar what agency you are currently signed with..... I was born Alexander P Dominguez in Washington DC on December 4th, and have resided in Prince George's county Maryland for most of my life. I graduated from Frostburg State university with a degree in Criminal Justice. I come from a good traditional Filipino family, and I am presently represented by RED model management NY. What was it and when was it that make you first take an interest in becoming a male model..... I really had no intentions of

Rico Hundo Gives UrbanInsider a Taste of "Trinkin Trinkin"

Not all of our interviews and features are very long and drawn out, sometimes we just wanna hit our mark with the subject we are talking about. Today we are talking about Rico Hundo, and officially welcoming him into the UrbanInsider family, which had all to do with the fact that he has the complete package, if you ever get a chance to watch his "Instastory" please do "lil whores", he was literally born for this and I can see his light, I would say he shines from within, so you wanna see his posts, you wanna hear him talk, you wanna know what he's doing next because you can tell it's organically who he is. We caught up with this rising star to continue the promo of his incredible ''Latin fused" new track "Trinkin Trinkin" oh and he helped us get the words right lol.........Oh we almost forgot to mention he knows another favorite "Dominicana" of ours CARDI!!!!!!!! Tweet So first of all I wanna it’s a pleasur

Spotlight On:The New It Girl Jessica Burciaga

She has it all from the girl next door appeal, to extreme sex appeal. I first took notice of her when I saw the Jamie Foxx ft Drake "Fall For Your Type" video and to be honest I had to take a sceond glance because I really thought that she was JLO. It wasnt until recently when I actually found out who this stunning beauty is who looks like she could be Jennifer Lopez's little sister. Jessica Burciaga (born April 11, 1983) is an American model . Her father is Mexican and her mother is French and Irish . She was selected to be Playboy's February 2009 Playmate of the Month .   I think we are just starting to see the beginning of the beautiful Jessica, and that she has alot more in store......