Skip to main content

Top Model JD Davis Talks Industry Colorism&Wage Inequality With Urban Insider Magazine



I'm to finally be able to say the brand has a niche even more than before, but I currently and hopefully for the future want Urban Insider to of course stay Urban however the focal point more than ever is going to be male beauty. I am a minority and in our industry even though we are represented I still don't think we get to hear the stories of the beautiful faces we see enough, it's like we see them, but do we really hear them, and if we hear them, do we really know them enough to relate to a photo in a magazine. That's what we are doing today with John Edward Davis Jr, who simply goes by the name JD, I had the most amazing conversation with him, I can say that he has so much to talk about, that he is so insightful, and that the principles and morals that he stands by are in some ways a double edge sword but has all the makings to succeed in this industry. His is the first face to join the Urban Insider family as a top male model in this industry to help signify us as a male beauty brand. In honor of keeping it real the 6 foot 1 and three fourths 23 year old Texan decided to write his own story, I'm just editing his words, and ladies watch out for him because he is rather alluring to say the least he can definitely make your heart go ba-dum, boo'd up......



First and foremost I want to thank-you for working with me



First of all it’s an honor that you’d even consider me interesting enough to want to interview me. I am greatly appreciative of you for that! 

Lets dive-in and start by telling people where you are from, your name, age, height, and how you got started in the fashion industry and what is it about the industry that intrigues you the most....


My name is John Edward Davis Jr. but I friends and family call me JD. I’m 23, 6’1 and 3/4( that 3/4 is important to me lol) I actually got started in modeling in March of 2014, but I was discovered by my cousin Lauren on Christmas of 2013. She’s signed with my current mother agent, and married into our family so it was our first time meeting. I had a mini fro and a lil wannabe goatee going on, but thankfully she saw potential and told me about modeling and said I’d have a good chance at it. At the time I was in college at the university of Texas at Arlington slightly studying psychology and making music.

I worked at a popular strip club on the weekends to pay for living, although I was the shot boy. My cousin told her agent at the time I’d come in after the holidays, which I did, just 3 months later. Honestly I knew I was attractive but I HATED taking pictures and ruined every picture I could with a goofy face or bunny ears on someone or anything. My self image was crap at the time. 
I’ve always expressed myself through words, and figured if I didn’t make it in rap(which I put on the back-burner for now) I could be an author or maybe an actor. Not once did modeling cross my mind, I didn’t see it as a form of self expression at the time like I do today. Combining that with my poetry as a way to touch people and inspire is really what keeps me going.





Aside from modeling what other things projects or parts of the industry are you involved in....

Acting was always a dream of mine. I grew up on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and whatever my grandma was watching, usually soap operas. And cartoons of course. But I always loved the dramatic scenes and how seeing something funny on tv could cheer me up. I wanted to be that for people. 

From my understanding from other male models its very slow in the industry for men, even ones with a great aesthetic like you, so my question to you is have you had these experiences or is this just a case by case basis

All the glory goes to God, I can’t take the credit for anything but my work ethic when it comes to this. Home base for me is Dallas, Tx, and I’m beyond blessed to be able to sustain a full time modeling/acting career here. Now I’m still working on creating my millions, but I’ve been blessed here. This is one of the only industries where women have a higher pay than men, so I’m all for wage equality too ha.

How often are you in the gym to keep yourself in shape to book these shoots, and what does your grooming process consist of....

Again, blessed by god and my genetics to have a body with a great metabolism and what not. I go to the gym or am active 3-5 times a week, whether it’s weights or sprints or mma or parkour. I’ve always had an extremely active lifestyle. And of course I thank my barber Julius for always hooking me up right lol.Shaving for anyone with course hair is always an issue with ingrown hairs, so I have been tryin different methods to minimize those bad boys. Other than that I’m pretty simple. Hard work and good skincare ya know

Do you feel that castings are colorists in any form, or do you feel that most castings are an even playing field regardless of complexion....

So in terms of castings, they’re usually specific as to what race or look they are looking for before we get submitted to them. I wouldn’t be sent to a casting for a company looking for a blonde hair blue eyed slim white boy. But when it is looking for African American, I will say having lighter complexion I think there’s an unfair advantage for me. 


Now I don't know your background but since we are on the topic, do you identify as black/African American, or are you mixed race if you so how does your view of self image affect your opinion on issues that I asked you about in the above question.....

My mother is Irish/Scottish On her moms side and Native American, black, and Scottish on her dad’s side. My pops is black and Native American. I view myself as mixed/black but honestly outside of hitting the genetic jackpot and being a target for cops, I don’t think about it a ton. Now it is obvious when I see an agencies main board or hear from another model of color that they didn’t get signed because “we already have someone with you look”, but then I proceed to find 5 white guys that I literally can’t tell apart on every board

Alright so lets lighten-up the discussion some, describe your personal style, and do you feel its enhanced or pretty much consistent with who you were before you became visible in the industry....


Woo my style(or lack of) is pretty simple. I’m big on jeans and a dark tee. If I’m at home I’m either in workout clothes or my boxers. There’s a study that talks about a humans ability to make good decisions. You only have a limited amount of good decisions a day before they start going to crap, so I do like Steve jobs and bill gates. Keep it simple. In the wintertime I do like a bit of layering, maybe a cardigan and a scarf if I can pull it off. And anything purple because it’s my favorite color. 




Boxers of Briefs...


Boxers! The stretchy kind though. Sweat absorbent and no weggies. 








Favorite place to go on a date...


I’m a big foodie and I love movies. So a good 1-2 punch for me is Zenna (Thai fusion) or cafe Brazil, and a good movie. For a first date at least the food part. Movies are a terrible first date lol. It’s about getting to know the other person not go 2 hours without talking. 





Single or taken and if single why....


Single. Was in a 4 year relationship but looks like God had other plans for me. Not that I’m not looking for Mrs. Right, because when she comes she’s mine. Until then I’m still scouting. 




Favorite Song on the radio...


I’m one of those weird guys that doesn’t listen to the radio. I use tidal but my music preference ranges from hip hop and r&b to heavy metal to opera. But anytime I here Best Part by Daniel Caesar and H.E.R. I’m taken to another world where things are good and love is now. So I’d say that. 





Favorite thing to eat besides fortune cookies with ice cream......

Haha anyone that knows me well knows my love for Papa John’s pizza is unrivaled. (Yes I am looking for the sponsorship, any day now) I could eat pizza every day of the week for every meal and still be happy. It’s the whole food pyramid on a pie 😋












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Insider talks Model Behavior with Mr. Alex Dominguez of RED Models NYC

With it now being officially spring and actually feeling like it, I thought what better way to celebrate than bringing in a little model behavior. Models often showcase the best of what the average person aspires to look like, from the clothes, the height, and even their hair. We chatted with Mr. Alex Dominguez for the proper insight, and here are our results....... Tell us a little about yourself such as where you are from, age, and for those who aren't familiar what agency you are currently signed with..... I was born Alexander P Dominguez in Washington DC on December 4th, and have resided in Prince George's county Maryland for most of my life. I graduated from Frostburg State university with a degree in Criminal Justice. I come from a good traditional Filipino family, and I am presently represented by RED model management NY. What was it and when was it that make you first take an interest in becoming a male model..... I really had no intentions of

Rico Hundo Gives UrbanInsider a Taste of "Trinkin Trinkin"

Not all of our interviews and features are very long and drawn out, sometimes we just wanna hit our mark with the subject we are talking about. Today we are talking about Rico Hundo, and officially welcoming him into the UrbanInsider family, which had all to do with the fact that he has the complete package, if you ever get a chance to watch his "Instastory" please do "lil whores", he was literally born for this and I can see his light, I would say he shines from within, so you wanna see his posts, you wanna hear him talk, you wanna know what he's doing next because you can tell it's organically who he is. We caught up with this rising star to continue the promo of his incredible ''Latin fused" new track "Trinkin Trinkin" oh and he helped us get the words right lol.........Oh we almost forgot to mention he knows another favorite "Dominicana" of ours CARDI!!!!!!!! Tweet So first of all I wanna it’s a pleasur

Spotlight On:The New It Girl Jessica Burciaga

She has it all from the girl next door appeal, to extreme sex appeal. I first took notice of her when I saw the Jamie Foxx ft Drake "Fall For Your Type" video and to be honest I had to take a sceond glance because I really thought that she was JLO. It wasnt until recently when I actually found out who this stunning beauty is who looks like she could be Jennifer Lopez's little sister. Jessica Burciaga (born April 11, 1983) is an American model . Her father is Mexican and her mother is French and Irish . She was selected to be Playboy's February 2009 Playmate of the Month .   I think we are just starting to see the beginning of the beautiful Jessica, and that she has alot more in store......