Skip to main content

Going Back To Cali With "The BSU" Star Kahlil Simplis















Great things take time, and this process took me awhile, yet the quality I got from waiting was well worth it. This journey takes me out to Los Angeles where almost everyone you come across is someone to know, today I'm speaking with a multi-talented young actor/musician by the name of Kahlil Simplis who can currently be seen on "Insecure" creator Issa Rae's newest project "The BSU"....


Let's start with an introduction, such as your name, age, and where you are from.....

My full name is Kahlil Simplis, I’m 21, and I hail from the great city of Los Angeles..

What caught my attention was the project you have with Issa Rae, I love her show "Insecure", tell us about the project, and where can we view it....

The project “The BSU”, that I am in, is a show about young college students, African American students in paritcular. The show focuses on a group of young black students (a hilarious cast by the way) at UCLA who are trying to recruit fellow students to join the Black Student Union, because they need a minimum of 10 members and haven’t met that goal yet. It can be viewed on Issa Rae’s youtube channel under, “The BSU” or on her production company’s website thepeak.tv   

Who all is involved with this project castwise....



Tom Williamson, who is a regular on ABC’s The Fosters. He plays Andre.
Then there is Teddy Ray, who is a comedic genius, he plays Manny.
Along with Deja Johnson, a very talented musician and my girlfriends sister, who currently has a song on Issa Rae’s Insecure project, called Boy Yup! go check it out! 
All my other super dope homies Nadja Sofi, Tristina Bryant, Israel “Izzy” Dixon, Jojo Nwoko, Michael Bow, Paige Noel, and Joshua Walker




What was it like working with Issa, was it intimidating for you.....


I''m sure it would be! Haha I’m just kidding, but she actually wasn’t on set the days I was on set, so I never got to formally meet her, but if she’s reading this, your work is inspiring and so dope and I was glad to be apart of such an amazing project and I hope you renew us for season two! Haha


Is it safe to say you are geared more towards acting, or music....


As of late, I’m more geared towards music just because its what I do on a consistent basis but I would love to be an actor as well, both coincide with each other at some point so whichever takes off first I don’t mind it. But Im in the studio everyday so I would say music.


Have you done any other acting projects besides the current one with Issa....

Actually, no I haven’t, but I’m looking forward to it!


What got you interested in working in the film industry, and what does it take creatively for you to dive into a character.....


Honestly, it happened by chance. And it kind of comes natural but I for sure need work, not even going to lie, I’ve never taken an acting class or anything like that, but I’ve been wanting to just in case opportunities pop up.


Do you have plans on doing any directing or producing in the future.....


Filmwise, no, not really, musically, of course!


If you had to pick a dreamcast, and a dreamrole, who would the cast consist of, and what would be the role.....


I would love to be in a movie with Michael B Jordan, and Chadwick Bosman, and my role would be like a funny character, I’ve always wanted to play a comedian in a movie.


This is a major accomplishment, what's next for Kahlil.......


Next for me is building my brand and personal music career, hopefully you hear me lyrically behind some of your favorite artists or becoming your favorite artists, I wouldn’t mind just being a songwriter, but performing seems fun, so use that as motivation along with providing for my family as best and anyway I can. 


What is your favorite movie, actor and or actress......


A specific favorite movie, I truly don’t have one and probably couldn’t name you a top 5 haha but my favorite actor is will smith and my favorite actress is probably Scarlett Johansson, she’s fine.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Insider talks Model Behavior with Mr. Alex Dominguez of RED Models NYC

With it now being officially spring and actually feeling like it, I thought what better way to celebrate than bringing in a little model behavior. Models often showcase the best of what the average person aspires to look like, from the clothes, the height, and even their hair. We chatted with Mr. Alex Dominguez for the proper insight, and here are our results....... Tell us a little about yourself such as where you are from, age, and for those who aren't familiar what agency you are currently signed with..... I was born Alexander P Dominguez in Washington DC on December 4th, and have resided in Prince George's county Maryland for most of my life. I graduated from Frostburg State university with a degree in Criminal Justice. I come from a good traditional Filipino family, and I am presently represented by RED model management NY. What was it and when was it that make you first take an interest in becoming a male model..... I really had no intentions of

Kim Kardashian Joins Drop Dead Diva Cast

Kim and ex-beau Ray-J's sister Brandy have been crossing similar career paths lately, Brandy was also on Drop Dead Diva and they both will be in Tyler Perry's The Marriage Counselor. The title of the show doesn't stray to far from Kim's real life role of being drop dead gorgeous, checkout what she had to say about her new gig..... "I am so excited to announce that I'll be guest starring on 'Drop Dead Diva' season four this summer," Kardashian said. "My character is called Nikki, who is Ben's new love interest and starts a business venture with his ex, Stacy! I can't wait to get to work with everyone on set!!" "In discussing the role of Nikki with her, I'm blown away by her smarts, sense of humor and passion," series creator and executive producer Josh Berman told the trade paper about casting Kardashian. "This series is all about reinvention and I'm so excited to see Kim 'reinvented' in the worl

Rico Hundo Gives UrbanInsider a Taste of "Trinkin Trinkin"

Not all of our interviews and features are very long and drawn out, sometimes we just wanna hit our mark with the subject we are talking about. Today we are talking about Rico Hundo, and officially welcoming him into the UrbanInsider family, which had all to do with the fact that he has the complete package, if you ever get a chance to watch his "Instastory" please do "lil whores", he was literally born for this and I can see his light, I would say he shines from within, so you wanna see his posts, you wanna hear him talk, you wanna know what he's doing next because you can tell it's organically who he is. We caught up with this rising star to continue the promo of his incredible ''Latin fused" new track "Trinkin Trinkin" oh and he helped us get the words right lol.........Oh we almost forgot to mention he knows another favorite "Dominicana" of ours CARDI!!!!!!!! Tweet So first of all I wanna it’s a pleasur