Skip to main content

Urban Insider Exclusive:There's Something About Norman Conversations With a Comedian




I wanted to reintroduce myself as independent writer, so with that comes a lot of new changes where you are now reading this blog is under-construction as a magazine under the same name. Comedian/Actor Norman Towns will be the first person to help kick off this new venture. The entertainment industry is supposed to be filled with arrogance and facades, so when you come across people like Norman Towns you are instantly drawn in. You could say its his intense positive energy, his truthfulness, or his strong spirit that can be felt by the most aloof among us. Norman's inviting personality is what's missing in the entertainment world, its a characteristic that can't be found in the most prominent acting class because it has to be organic. I found strength and a little envy in his ability to just cut himself free from what was comfortable allowing himself to follow his destiny absent of fear. I can officially say each interview is essentially a lifeclass not just for me, but hopefully for those who are reading as well. Having just been in contact with him this brief time I know that Norman is destined for greatness.







Q:So who is Norman Towns you have described yourself as a Comedian,Actor, Producer,Artist, Critical Thinker, Problem Solver,Genius, Rapper, Psychic, and Mythical Creature whisperer. The mythical creature whisperer one is what throws me off a little bit though.....



Well I would describe myself as a comedian and everything else are hobbies that I really enjoy. I am an Art Major and loved working on projects weather it be painting, drawing, or producing anything from film to music those were the areas where I really focused in. It seemed to be the only time I was able to focus is when I turned something into a project, there is so much that defines me it’s hard to put a label on myself. I am blessed and gifted with many talents and try to hone and use them as much as possible to better myself and others.

Q:What was it like growing up as the second of four children, would you describe the relationship you have with your siblings as being a close one....

Well being the second child of four children was never that bad for me. My personality is really outgoing and very social. My older sister is very personable everyone likes her she was the prom queen and just good hearted. My younger brother that is right under me, Weylan is the loudest one out of all of us he was the kid where if you were afraid to do something or thought it would be embarrassing he would do it. Such as asking these people for change outside a gas station and he would ask everyone, you give him an inch he would take the whole ruler and was the bud of a lot of my jokes. My youngest brother is complete opposite of us all he is very shy and would barely speak to you. Most kids are shy around other people and talk a lot when they are with their family but not him he was shy around us too. I have a close bond with all my brothers and sisters,I've always felt like an older brother to all of them. I probably got more spankings, whoopings, and ass beatings as well. I guess you can say I would always find myself getting into some kind of trouble.


I've heard alot of different reasons used as to why people become comedians, some say its a way of masking a deeper pain, others were always like the class clown type, what was your gateway into becoming a comedian....

My gateway into comedy came very early. I loved to make people smile and laugh, when I was in grade school I always found myself doing or saying things to make other people laugh even if it would sometimes get me in trouble. When I played AAU basketball and would go on tournaments my teammates and I would clown each other,everyone would come to my room to listen to me tell stories to have a good laugh. I remember I use to be very small growing up and I hated that, so I would put socks in my shoes because I hated being small. Everyone would somewhat pick on me because I was small I couldn't beat them up so I used my mouth, I had a very smart mouth and could talk about everyone and anyone haha. I remember I would always keep a big friend around me, everyone was like Norman you talk so much shit many people wanted to fight me, but when I got bigger people just thought I was funny. I remember being the class clown in every class I was in, I suppose I was a class clown among class clowns.

I would tape shows like Mad Tv and SNL and watch a lot of comedians. My younger brothers and I would shoot skits all the time that I would show to my class and my teachers would laugh so hard they loved them. When I got older I was so afraid to get on stage I would go to open mics and sign up and when they would call my name I would leave. I was helping one of my friends write jokes one time and watched him perform and said next time I have to get on stage, my friend was like no just keep writing jokes for me but I was determined to do so, and I did and have been going strong ever since. I could find humor in everything and I guess that’s what makes me a comedian being able to bring the positive out of something negative or make people smile during hard times.

Q:Out of all the comic greats I think Bernie Mac has to be one of the best, who do you find to be the most influential in the realms of comedy, and what is it that about that particular person that influences you so much....

Wow I can list so many comedians I have respect for all the comedians because I know how hard it is and what it takes but I look up to a lot of comedians that are famous and well known. The most influential comedian to me growing up was Sinbad, because he was the only one I could really watch and was funny to everyone. You could be older, younger, a teenager, and he could make you laugh reaching a wide veritey of people. I loved his style and he was very entertaining from his stand up all the way to the movies he was a part of.


Q:Now tell us about the Target thing because Im sensing a funny story about that, why did your mom want you to work there so bad....

Well my mom wanted me to work everywhere. I don’t think she cared if I got paid or not as long as I was working somewhere haha. My mom grew up on a farm in a small town in Alabama and she worked hard and still is a hard worker and for some reason thought that we should work just as hard. It was no surprise that when I turned 16 and could legally work she made sure to have a list of jobs waiting. I have had a million jobs because of my mom. She would get the applications make me fill them out sometimes fill them out for me. I remember one time I had two jobs and was resting in-between one of them and she said listen you better get up and get you another job. I took a while to explain I was not Jamaican and I was doing the best I could do. I would get fired from jobs and my mom would try and get my job back haha. There was one point in life where I would pretend to go work on a job I got fired from just so she wouldn’t ask me about it. Well knowing her she wanted to see me in action and found out I was fired a month before let’s just say it was no bueno. I remember when I graduated from college I came home with a BA in Art and a minor in Communications and my mom said “hey son Costco is hiring and target” that’s when I knew it was time to go. But I have had every embarrassing job you can name from selling pop corn in the movie theaters, serving food on skates, flipping signs, serving burgers at McDonalds, serving ice cream. Selling vacuums and knives door to door. I have done it all. THANK YOU MOM!

Q:Are you able to be serious for long periods of time or do you find it very difficult not to constantly joke around.....


I am able to be serious for long periods of time and it is sometimes difficult because I do find humor in a lot of things and being serious doesn’t mean you have to be depressed or sad or angry about something and I feel some people fell that that is what serious is. There are a lot of times that I am serious and people think it’s funny, I guess that’s why we do what we do we think outside the box. Comedians make sense or look at things different than the average person would, I feel comedians and people that have that gift are very intelligent individuals that can make sense of a lot of things. A lot of comedians are very wise people and understand alot, are very observing which is why after shows people are like “wow that’s so true”.


Q:What kind of legacy does Norman Towns want to leave on the world....

I just want to use the gifts that were given to me and make the most of them. I don’t want to die and not become what I was put on this earth to do. I want to help people,I love helping people. I want people to say that Norman Towns was a good man loved helping people kept God First and was a great brother, son, husband, father, and lived up to what he was made for.

Q:Now I know you have worked with my frat Billy Sorrells, what comics and venues can you be found at....

I can be found throughout the West Coast and I always post my upcoming events on my webside at www.NormanTowns.com .

Q:What is the funniest thing you've done in just regular everyday life that was unexpected

Wow I think almost everyday there is something funny or remember something funny that happened, it's hard for me to find just one thing.

Q:Name five words people would use to describe you

Funny , Hilarious, Wise, Helpful, Hard-Working.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Los Angeles, CA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Insider talks Model Behavior with Mr. Alex Dominguez of RED Models NYC

With it now being officially spring and actually feeling like it, I thought what better way to celebrate than bringing in a little model behavior. Models often showcase the best of what the average person aspires to look like, from the clothes, the height, and even their hair. We chatted with Mr. Alex Dominguez for the proper insight, and here are our results....... Tell us a little about yourself such as where you are from, age, and for those who aren't familiar what agency you are currently signed with..... I was born Alexander P Dominguez in Washington DC on December 4th, and have resided in Prince George's county Maryland for most of my life. I graduated from Frostburg State university with a degree in Criminal Justice. I come from a good traditional Filipino family, and I am presently represented by RED model management NY. What was it and when was it that make you first take an interest in becoming a male model..... I really had no intentions of

Rico Hundo Gives UrbanInsider a Taste of "Trinkin Trinkin"

Not all of our interviews and features are very long and drawn out, sometimes we just wanna hit our mark with the subject we are talking about. Today we are talking about Rico Hundo, and officially welcoming him into the UrbanInsider family, which had all to do with the fact that he has the complete package, if you ever get a chance to watch his "Instastory" please do "lil whores", he was literally born for this and I can see his light, I would say he shines from within, so you wanna see his posts, you wanna hear him talk, you wanna know what he's doing next because you can tell it's organically who he is. We caught up with this rising star to continue the promo of his incredible ''Latin fused" new track "Trinkin Trinkin" oh and he helped us get the words right lol.........Oh we almost forgot to mention he knows another favorite "Dominicana" of ours CARDI!!!!!!!! Tweet So first of all I wanna it’s a pleasur

Spotlight On:The New It Girl Jessica Burciaga

She has it all from the girl next door appeal, to extreme sex appeal. I first took notice of her when I saw the Jamie Foxx ft Drake "Fall For Your Type" video and to be honest I had to take a sceond glance because I really thought that she was JLO. It wasnt until recently when I actually found out who this stunning beauty is who looks like she could be Jennifer Lopez's little sister. Jessica Burciaga (born April 11, 1983) is an American model . Her father is Mexican and her mother is French and Irish . She was selected to be Playboy's February 2009 Playmate of the Month .   I think we are just starting to see the beginning of the beautiful Jessica, and that she has alot more in store......