Skip to main content

Urban Insider Chats With Phenomenal Author of "Days Later" Walter Neil










It's always interesting when I get to come across a person who has a way with words, it cuts out a lot of the labor for me, and it's very refreshing to see how other people think in terms of verbiage. Walter Neil goes above and beyond in doing so for this interview, he not only got everything back to me immediately, but he also answered everything with enough material to keep the readers intrigued as if we were reading one of his amazing books. Being in contact with people like Neil makes it possible for me to keep telling our stories from a multi-talented, multi-functional, multi-creative standpoint. So I will keep my commentary to a minimum so it doesn't distract from the art that was created here.........





Let's start with an introduction for the readers, like name, age, and where you are
from......


Walter Neil is an author, creator and overall trendsetter. Born and raised in
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, he is the oldest of his mother’s three sons. At the
age of 16 he moved to Atlanta, Georgia where he graduated high school
before attending Georgia State University. Now at the age of 26 he has
released the first book of a remarkable four part series that is sure to keep
you on the edge of your seat. Inspired by us all, “Days Later” delivers a feel
that bridges the gap between normality and reality; giving a better
understanding of some of the social complexes we’re living with today.
 
Now I'm a reader I love reading and the synopsis for "Days Later", is juicy and
very refreshing read. I like that it's about characters who have something in common with all us of including myself, tell me where did you draw inspiration to tell this story, and when will we get more books from you....



"Days Later” is a project that sat near and dear to my heart for a long time.
I listen throughout the universe at people who section out individuals by
race, religion, sexual orientation and any other way possible without an
understanding of why. It is like why can't a male who is more intrigued by
another male receive the same amount of respect as a male with a different
preference. Or why are women who make money as adult entertainers
immediately classified as hoes or wild when in all actuality half of them
would rather make their money and go home. It all comes down to
perception or the lack there of and it’s just a thing that I’ve paid very close
attention to over the years. “Days Later” gave me the opportunity to shed
light on these types of social issues providing a platform for me to
showcase my talent in a very unique way.
 
I thought my career field was a hard one to break into, but being an author is a very
time consuming yet noble career field, some people shop there books around for
years before actually getting published, how long did this process take you.....


Well this is the first of a four part series, but this book took roughly 8
months to complete. I’ve already started the second part, but don’t plan on
releasing it for a while.


When was the first time you sat down, and actually said I want to write books, and
were you worried about the stigma of being a black man writing about topics that are
still considered taboo in our community.......


To be completely honest, I thought about that and got discouraged a time
or two, but you know what these are real life issues. People experience
these type of social complexes everyday, and if its how we are living then why
be afraid to talk about it? Don’t get me wrong everyone doesn’t have to
know everything you do, but people shouldn’t feel like they are alone
especially when we are all going through life changes in separate forms,
but at the same time.


Is "Days Later", available in paperback as well, and if not what will it take for us to have this book not only on our electronic devices, but available to be carried around everywhere we go........


Yes. You can purchase physical copies not only through Amazon Kindle, but on my website www.damnwalterneil.com.


 How do you get into a creative space in order to not only flesh out the story, but to visualize each character enough to know how to place them correctly into the storyline....


 Honestly, I don’t do much brainstorming, it’s more of a natural approach. Each character has specific characteristics that bind them all together, and I guess I just instinctively know what part needs to go where. I like to write outdoors though, my dream location is like beach side or laying out by the pool. I’m an Aquarius so the water calms my focus.


Aside from writing amazing books, who is Walter Neil, what are his interests, what is a typical day like for you....


I’m very chill to be honest. I hate to be bored, but would rather not overwhelm myself with too much fun. Its like I love people, but when I’m ready to go home and chill out that’s what I want to do. I’m single so not much going on there. Eat good, I workout 5-6 days a week. I’m a goof ball so I laugh a lot. It’s just kind of whatever.


Stories like these need to be told on the big screen to represent us as the multifaceted humans beings we are, and not the stereotypes people think we are, would you ever consider developing this into a screenplay or miniseries.....


Definitely! I really believe in who people are as individuals, and that is the beauty in the makeup of the universe. I would be honored to have an opportunity to deliver something as necessary as “Days Later” on the big screen. That would be amazing!


Are there any authors, writers, poets, even artists that you could say influence your writing style or that you even look up to personally.....


Yes. E. Lynn Harris was a true inspiration of mine. When I was 14 years old his book “A love of my own” was the first fiction drama I ever read. I felt a deep connection with his style of writing and the way he drew you into the story he was telling. He was a phenomenal writer. Rest easy E. Lynn Harris.


Name five things you can't go a day without.....


Wouldn’t say any tangible thing, but here are five, family, eating because I’m greedy, laughing, the freshness of air ,striving, and pushing myself to be better.




For everything Walter Neil you can subscribe to his website at www.damnwalterneil.com He is also accessible on social media @damnwalterneil via Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Insider talks Model Behavior with Mr. Alex Dominguez of RED Models NYC

With it now being officially spring and actually feeling like it, I thought what better way to celebrate than bringing in a little model behavior. Models often showcase the best of what the average person aspires to look like, from the clothes, the height, and even their hair. We chatted with Mr. Alex Dominguez for the proper insight, and here are our results....... Tell us a little about yourself such as where you are from, age, and for those who aren't familiar what agency you are currently signed with..... I was born Alexander P Dominguez in Washington DC on December 4th, and have resided in Prince George's county Maryland for most of my life. I graduated from Frostburg State university with a degree in Criminal Justice. I come from a good traditional Filipino family, and I am presently represented by RED model management NY. What was it and when was it that make you first take an interest in becoming a male model..... I really had no intentions of

Rico Hundo Gives UrbanInsider a Taste of "Trinkin Trinkin"

Not all of our interviews and features are very long and drawn out, sometimes we just wanna hit our mark with the subject we are talking about. Today we are talking about Rico Hundo, and officially welcoming him into the UrbanInsider family, which had all to do with the fact that he has the complete package, if you ever get a chance to watch his "Instastory" please do "lil whores", he was literally born for this and I can see his light, I would say he shines from within, so you wanna see his posts, you wanna hear him talk, you wanna know what he's doing next because you can tell it's organically who he is. We caught up with this rising star to continue the promo of his incredible ''Latin fused" new track "Trinkin Trinkin" oh and he helped us get the words right lol.........Oh we almost forgot to mention he knows another favorite "Dominicana" of ours CARDI!!!!!!!! Tweet So first of all I wanna it’s a pleasur

Spotlight On:The New It Girl Jessica Burciaga

She has it all from the girl next door appeal, to extreme sex appeal. I first took notice of her when I saw the Jamie Foxx ft Drake "Fall For Your Type" video and to be honest I had to take a sceond glance because I really thought that she was JLO. It wasnt until recently when I actually found out who this stunning beauty is who looks like she could be Jennifer Lopez's little sister. Jessica Burciaga (born April 11, 1983) is an American model . Her father is Mexican and her mother is French and Irish . She was selected to be Playboy's February 2009 Playmate of the Month .   I think we are just starting to see the beginning of the beautiful Jessica, and that she has alot more in store......