Skip to main content

UrbanInsider Goes Somewhere Private To Talk Fashion with Rising L.A. Designer Isaac Lawrence









Here at UrbanInsider my goal with every person I work with is to cultivate an experience based on friendship, love, admiration, and respect. Needless to say my conversation with Isaac made that a seamless process, his aura radiates as bright as his knack for fashion. You could say that it was ingrained in his DNA to be successful, hailing from a impressive home background with a mother who is skilled in art and a father who played in the NFL. Taking notice of Isaac's impressive ability early on to imitate his mother's drawings, his parents enrolled him in private art classes, he would then go on to meet his teacher in high school that advised him to pursue fashion professionally. Armed with his superior illustration skills, Isaac left his L.A. home behind to pursue his education in fashion, he soon learned that it would be no easy task. Having never been near a sewing machine before, he was introduced to the full dynamics of the fashion world, initially he wanted people to construct his garments based off of his illustrations, his education taught him the downside of that kind of predicament. Being able to design from a pattern, and actually develop the garment yourself not only keeps your overhead costs down, but it keeps the designer from being taken advantage of in the sense that a manufacturer doesn't know how a garment is supposed to fit from looking at a sketch, so often-times a designer has to go back and forth with getting the sizing correct which ends up very time consuming and costly.
 


Isaac will never have that issue which will make him a very profitable designer, much like his fashion inspiration "House of Balmain", creative Director Olivier Rousteing. The androgyny in the designs of "Balmain", is one of the things Isaac is most drawn to, in addition to the way Rousteing built his whole creative team from the ground up. Isaac did just that before graduating this spring by creating his second public fashion show, and first for his university, he not only scouted and trained his models for nine months, he put together and directed his own creative team. Starting with just his sketch book he made 25 different looks with about 40 pieces, with one of the last garments being made on the day of the show, he describes the event as being one the most happiest moments of his life. Below are some the excerpts from my conversation with Mr.Lawrence from his own point of view....





Who would you most like to design for.........


I would say Charlize Theron, and Rihanna because they exude a certain type of class.


Have you designed for any celebrity clients yet......


No but I plan to.


Does the Isaac Lawrence brand have a target audience that he specifically designs for......


Yes, my aim is to make my designs appeal to people in their teens to early 30's, as far as my pieces go you can't compare them to anyone because I don't use other people's designs as my influence. My brand is one that is different and comfortable with taking risks, because it's worked for me thus far.


If your brand was being pitched to department stores and boutiques, where would you see your brand being sold at.....


Definitely using staple pieces at the shopping district on "Melrose" for buyers who want to be different.


What does fashion mean to you, and how do you come up with concepts or visions in order to produce a piece....


For me fashion is a way of self-expression and freedom, because it's the closest thing to changing my environment. I usually just touch fabrics to visualize a finished garment, in addition to tiles, architecture, everyday life, are all ways I get concepts for my pieces.


What are your favorite designers, and describe your personal style.....


Balmain, Giorgio Armani, Roberto Cavalli, Valentino, Donna Karan, Oscar De La Renta. I would describe my personal style as very relaxed, simple as possible, and not doing too much.


I have to ask you this, we both have a Creole background, which parent is what and where is your family originally from.....


My mother's side is Creole from Louisiana, and my father is African American from Oklahoma.


5 year goals personal and professional as many as you can think of as fast as you can think of them....


I see myself in a healthy relationship, working on having a virtual shopping store, and being apart of the fashion/entertainment industry using that tool to market my own brand.







Take a gander at the Isaac Lawrence Fashion Show below........


Photos Courtesy of El Von Images





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Insider talks Model Behavior with Mr. Alex Dominguez of RED Models NYC

With it now being officially spring and actually feeling like it, I thought what better way to celebrate than bringing in a little model behavior. Models often showcase the best of what the average person aspires to look like, from the clothes, the height, and even their hair. We chatted with Mr. Alex Dominguez for the proper insight, and here are our results....... Tell us a little about yourself such as where you are from, age, and for those who aren't familiar what agency you are currently signed with..... I was born Alexander P Dominguez in Washington DC on December 4th, and have resided in Prince George's county Maryland for most of my life. I graduated from Frostburg State university with a degree in Criminal Justice. I come from a good traditional Filipino family, and I am presently represented by RED model management NY. What was it and when was it that make you first take an interest in becoming a male model..... I really had no intentions of

Rico Hundo Gives UrbanInsider a Taste of "Trinkin Trinkin"

Not all of our interviews and features are very long and drawn out, sometimes we just wanna hit our mark with the subject we are talking about. Today we are talking about Rico Hundo, and officially welcoming him into the UrbanInsider family, which had all to do with the fact that he has the complete package, if you ever get a chance to watch his "Instastory" please do "lil whores", he was literally born for this and I can see his light, I would say he shines from within, so you wanna see his posts, you wanna hear him talk, you wanna know what he's doing next because you can tell it's organically who he is. We caught up with this rising star to continue the promo of his incredible ''Latin fused" new track "Trinkin Trinkin" oh and he helped us get the words right lol.........Oh we almost forgot to mention he knows another favorite "Dominicana" of ours CARDI!!!!!!!! Tweet So first of all I wanna it’s a pleasur

Spotlight On:The New It Girl Jessica Burciaga

She has it all from the girl next door appeal, to extreme sex appeal. I first took notice of her when I saw the Jamie Foxx ft Drake "Fall For Your Type" video and to be honest I had to take a sceond glance because I really thought that she was JLO. It wasnt until recently when I actually found out who this stunning beauty is who looks like she could be Jennifer Lopez's little sister. Jessica Burciaga (born April 11, 1983) is an American model . Her father is Mexican and her mother is French and Irish . She was selected to be Playboy's February 2009 Playmate of the Month .   I think we are just starting to see the beginning of the beautiful Jessica, and that she has alot more in store......