Skip to main content

UrbanInsider Talks With J Copeland Choreographer To the Stars

FM:Well I know your name is Jeremy Copeland, but let's talk about where you are from, your age, and just give a small background introduction to the FM readers









JC:Hi, Thank you so much for having me it feels great to be appreciated for what I love to do it’s a great feeling to thanks again. Well I just a young kid from Brooklyn NYC, Moved to Atlanta with my family when I was in my pre-teens, then I moved to FL to dance for Disney, left them and now I am in Los Angeles. I am just living life doing what I LOVE and not taking the word “no” for an answer. I am 20 years old, Single, was homeschooled growing up, and so happy I was because it let me get to know myself a lot. No Complaints.





FM:Now let's go straight into the choreography when did you get started in this and what made you choose this career path, and how long have you been doing it?






JC:Choreography was something that chose me and I had no choice but to go with it. I started doing Choreography for my dance team at my church, The Living Faith Tabernacle Swat Team; we were no game (laughs). We were the baddest dance team in Atlanta, we toured all over the United States every Summer Dancing at different venues, doing shows for Carnivals, Gospel Choice Awards, Holy Hip Hop Awards, Atlanta Hawks Pre-Show, and etc. I then took that and started teaching at the premiere dance studio in Atlanta called “Dance 411 Studios” where I built up my dance and choreography experience for years! Pretty soon I was over Atlanta and when I relocated to Los Angeles I got a position teaching at The International Dance Academy of Hollywood, which helped me place my mark in LA as a Choreographer. Working in LA I was blessed to be assistant choreographer to many amazing TOP Choreographers such as Oththan Burnside who I just love and respect. Currently I am booked to go to Brazil to teach an amazing master class and I plan to do more with artists and take over the world one 8count at a time.





FM:So coming from a person who knows nothing about dancing, how do come up with routines what inspires them, and how do you know it will be well received?





JC:Here is the thing that a lot of people do not realize and should!


A real choreographer is more than just a few 8counts and boom-kacks! We live and breathe out choreography aka ART. When I choreography a piece for class, artists, etc I really listen to the music and get it into my soul. I freestyle and play with it and really feel what the artist is trying to portray because as a choreographer that is our damn job, we are here to make people feel that beat, get people to hear those sounds and beats that your normally would not hear. I choreography from a very authentic and honest place and anyone who is dancing or operating out of their hearts and soul will understand and get it.





FM:What does it take to become a great well-trained dancer and what do you do in order to stay in great dancer shape?






JC:PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE. Study your craft! Study Choreographers and other dancers and how they move and execute movement. If you are an aspiring dancer and want to become a beast, get your ass in classes, and not just hip-hop. Study Hip-Hop, Jazz, Ballet (The Foundation), Tap, etc. And as far as my body goes (laughs) I am not even going to lie I am a horrible eater but dancing and holding your center and using your abs to travel and get across that stage.





FM:Your credits are amazing Beyonce, Gaga, Chris Brown, Jlo these are the biggest names in the industry, what was that experience like working with each of them and how did you get those great opportunities? Which projects did you work with them on, and who do want to work with moving forward





JC:Looking on my resume and seeing these names feels amazing!!!


Working with Beyonce was surreal and amazing! I recently worked with her on her new project “ RUN THE WORLD (GIRLS) “Music Video. I was principle dancer on Jennifer Lopez music video “ On The Floor “ feat Pitbull and did a live show with her in LA, I was a freestyle dancer for a show in Canada that Lady Gaga did and I was a dancer in one of Chris Browns music videos. I love every moment in my career and take nothing for granted.




























FM:Have you ever met Boomkack AKA LaurieAnn and what do you think about her for the Judas video?










JC:I look at LaurieAnn Gibson as my dance mother, yes I have met her and love her dearly. She always gives me the BEST Advice and encourages me to grow and always be a warrior and rule that stage every time my feet touch the dance floor!TEAMBOOMKACK And BTW I love the Judas Video! Its EPIC and amazing. Jealous I was not in it.





FM:Now Kontrol magazine what's it all about, and who all is involved?





JC:Well I am West Coast Editor for Kontrol Magazine, which is owned by Julian Lark. Kontrol is a Fashion and Entertainment Publication based out of Atlanta and branching into Los Angeles, which is my division. I love working for this publication, I have so much in store for Kontrol that I cannot say yet but all I can say is watch out!










www.KontrolMag.com



FM:What is your personal style in terms of clothing and what are you rocking?








JC:I love making a statement. I am big on shades (Stevie Boi or CocoandBreezy Shades ONLY). I ONLY wear Boots, I love American Apparel, Burberry, ad thrifting in Los Angeles.



FM:What things in life can't you live without?



JC:My Blackberry
My Mac-Book
Boots




FM:What is your favorite place to hangout?



JC:Love Hookah Lounge in Hollywood





Love Daiquiri Factory in Atlanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Insider talks Model Behavior with Mr. Alex Dominguez of RED Models NYC

With it now being officially spring and actually feeling like it, I thought what better way to celebrate than bringing in a little model behavior. Models often showcase the best of what the average person aspires to look like, from the clothes, the height, and even their hair. We chatted with Mr. Alex Dominguez for the proper insight, and here are our results....... Tell us a little about yourself such as where you are from, age, and for those who aren't familiar what agency you are currently signed with..... I was born Alexander P Dominguez in Washington DC on December 4th, and have resided in Prince George's county Maryland for most of my life. I graduated from Frostburg State university with a degree in Criminal Justice. I come from a good traditional Filipino family, and I am presently represented by RED model management NY. What was it and when was it that make you first take an interest in becoming a male model..... I really had no intentions of

Rico Hundo Gives UrbanInsider a Taste of "Trinkin Trinkin"

Not all of our interviews and features are very long and drawn out, sometimes we just wanna hit our mark with the subject we are talking about. Today we are talking about Rico Hundo, and officially welcoming him into the UrbanInsider family, which had all to do with the fact that he has the complete package, if you ever get a chance to watch his "Instastory" please do "lil whores", he was literally born for this and I can see his light, I would say he shines from within, so you wanna see his posts, you wanna hear him talk, you wanna know what he's doing next because you can tell it's organically who he is. We caught up with this rising star to continue the promo of his incredible ''Latin fused" new track "Trinkin Trinkin" oh and he helped us get the words right lol.........Oh we almost forgot to mention he knows another favorite "Dominicana" of ours CARDI!!!!!!!! Tweet So first of all I wanna it’s a pleasur

Spotlight On:The New It Girl Jessica Burciaga

She has it all from the girl next door appeal, to extreme sex appeal. I first took notice of her when I saw the Jamie Foxx ft Drake "Fall For Your Type" video and to be honest I had to take a sceond glance because I really thought that she was JLO. It wasnt until recently when I actually found out who this stunning beauty is who looks like she could be Jennifer Lopez's little sister. Jessica Burciaga (born April 11, 1983) is an American model . Her father is Mexican and her mother is French and Irish . She was selected to be Playboy's February 2009 Playmate of the Month .   I think we are just starting to see the beginning of the beautiful Jessica, and that she has alot more in store......